2017 Malt & Brew Workshop
April 3, 2017—The annual Briess Malt & Brew Workshop will be held Wednesday-Thursday, August 16-17, 2017, kicking off with a welcome hospitality on Tuesday, August 15.
About the Workshop
Experience firsthand the art of handcrafting and brewing with specialty malts at Briess Malt & Ingredients Co. in Chilton, Wis. This two-day workshop features presentations by guest and Briess speakers with in depth tours of Briess malting/roasting operations and 500-bbl brewhouse/extract plant.
In a hands-on sensory class, attendees will sample Congress Worts to better learn the flavors and aromas of eight specific specialty malts, then sample finished beers made with each malt. Presentation topics include the Briess barley supply chain from grower to brewer, production and acquisition of malting barley, the art of handcrafting specialty malts in small batches, flavor and color contributions of specialty malts, understanding a malt analysis, production malt extract in a 500bbl brewhouse, and development new barley varieties for American Craft Beer.
- Guest Speaker—Joe Hertrich, Retired Group Director, Brewing Raw Materials, Anheuser-Busch, Inc.
- Guest Speaker—Jace Marti, Assistant Brewmaster and head of August Schell Brewing Co. Sour Program
- Brian Brandt—Division Manager/West
- Dan Burick—Division Manager/Mountain
- Bob Hansen—Technical Services Manager
- Aaron Hyde—Division Manager/South
- Mike Killelea—Division Manager/East
- Penny Pickart—Division Manager Central
- Ryan O'Toole—President/COO
- Betsy Roberts—Qualtiy Manager, Malting
- Mike Scanzello—Director of Brewing + Distilling
Preregistration is required and limited to 45 participants currently working in a licensed commercial brewery or in a brewing-related capacity. Cost is $150.00 which includes meals. Transportation and lodging are not included.
For registration information contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2016 Workshop... Participants gather in front of the icon Chilton Malthouse which focuses on the small-scale production of roasted caramel and other specialty malt for American Craft Beer.
2015 Workshop... Participants had a birdseye view of the Briess barley processing and malting operation in Manitowoc from the top of the Manitowoc Maritime Museum, where dinner was held one night.
2014 Workshop Participants...
2013 Workshop Participants...
2012 Workshop Participants...
2011 Workshop Participants...
2010 Workshop Participants...